Thursday, December 3, 2009

Fashion plate.

Today, I realized - while driving to work - that I was wearing the same sweater I wore on Monday.

Yay!

I figured that no one would notice. So I kept on drivin'.

It's been a long week.

Usually, I'm the woman who looks you up and down in the elevator. And judges you and your too-short pants and droopy sweater. I never make comments, and I don't mean to be malicious - I just make mental notes. Remember, I'm an editor - it's my job to be nitpicky.

Unfortunately, that same eye for detail doesn't extend to my own wardrobe. This morning, this sweater was on top of the pile, so I went for it. I didn't stop to think that it was on top because I wore it most recently.

Here's hoping no one else noticed. I hope the other Elevator Fashion Nazis didn't catch on. I spent most of the day hunkered down at my desk, and ate lunch at my computer. While I didn't go so far as to limit my restroom visits, I should have considered it - any way to limit the exposure of my over-exposed shirt.

Again? It's been a long week.

7 comments:

Wenderina said...

I'm on a business trip in Denver and because of a massive cold snap I couldn't face wearing the blouses and slacks I brought, but instead wore my plane gear - turtleneck, jeans, scarf, and boots. Tough titties on the fashion police is what I say. It's 8 damn degrees out. I'm wearing the turtleneck. (But I did wash it out in the sink and hang dry it overnight).

Trixie Bang Bang said...

I wore the same shoe - but one in brown, one in black - to work on Thursday. Luckily I travel like a bag-lady with a car in place of a shopping cart, and I had an extra pair handy. But still. I felt like a dick.

Unknown said...

My sister and I used to share and apartment and our work clothes since were were newly working and on budgets. One day, I had to pick her up at work. She called to say just come up when I got there. As soon as I hung up, I realized I was wearing the same dress she had worn the day before. Within seconds, the phone was ringing. It was my sister telling me to stay in the car. We both had a good laugh over that one. She worked in an office that was 90% women and they definitely would have noticed. I also wore two different colored shoes to work one day. Unfortunately, two guys noticed before I did. After that, I had to listen to a rendition of the ZZ Top song 'She's Got Legs' called 'She's Got Shoes' every time they saw me. A fashionista, I am not. What I am is a woman with a lot of embarrassing stories. I'll take the latter, thank you!

gertrude said...

I seriously considered wearing the black yoga pants, t-shirt and sweater from Wednesday into work today that I had on when I fell asleep on the couch last night. Of course I'm now wearing corduroy pants and a slightly different t-shirt, so really it's only a minor upgrade. I'm really not a complete slob, but by Friday I just don't give a rat's ass.

hope505 said...

In light of the current fiscal downturn, I think it's more acceptable now than ever to wear the same sweater twice in the same work-week.
* : )
Heck, you could probably even wear the same two alternating outfits for a whole week, like a school uniform, and just call it "frugal". *hahaha!* It's your job, not the catwalk at Marc Jacobs!

8 said...

Totally acceptable to wear it twice in one week because really, even if someone does notice, what are they going to do about it? Laugh silently to themselves. Well, you (and I) already do that when we see a fashion victim in the elevator or at the grocery store. So rock out with your rerun outfit my friend and hold your head high!

Anonymous said...

I bet anyone who noticed thought "How daring of her to wear the same thing twice in one week--very bold!"