Friday, October 29, 2010

Why I should pitch screenplays for a living.

So ... didya watch Oprah yesterday?

The entire cast of The Sound of Music was on. Why this wasn't recognized as a national holiday, I simply do not know.

This is one of those movies that I saw about a gajillion and seven times as a child ... but I hadn't thought about it for several years. As I'm sure you know, I played second-oldest daughter Louisa in a 1988 community theatre production of The Sound of Music.

You know Louisa, right? She's the one who has a line wondering what her mother was like ... when, based on the ages of her siblings, she was at least 9 years old when her mother died. She was also the one who sang "I flit, I float! I fleetly flee, I fly!"

So, I played the stupid von Trapp.

Anyway.

I was ecstatic about the reunion show, but when I tried to explain the gravity of the show and the movie to My Guy? It went like this:

Me: Do you know what today is?

My Guy: Thursday?

Me: No! Well, yeah. But it's the entire cast of The Sound of Music on Oprah!

My Guy: So?

Me: So? It's awesome! Don't you like that movie?

My Guy: Uh, it's a musical. So, no.

*Stunned silence during which I questioned my choice of life partner. I didn't think to point out that My Guy loves Glee.*

Me, taking another tactic: The Sound of Music kicks ass. You know ... it has Nazis.

My Guy: Singing Nazis?

Me, vamping: Uh, yeah! And there's this captain, right? And he puts the moves on his kids' nanny - who is a nun!

My Guy: You're lying.

Me, picking up steam: No! It's true! He puts the moves on the nanny and she ends up leaving the convent to hook up with him, and then they have to escape from the Nazis! It's a true story! And then they made a movie about it!

My Guy: Oh. Well, that sounds OK.

And that's why if it weren't football season, we'd be watching The Sound of Music this weekend. But it is football season, so we'll be glued to the gridiron all weekend. I'm sure My Guy is disappointed, but we'll get through.

6 comments:

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

Mark hasn't seen The Sound of Music, either. Which is just unacceptable. I think I'm going to try your description on him. Nazis and fallen nuns probably do sound more appealing than my repeated singing of Do, Re, Mi. :)

Iron Needles said...

Also...lying car mechanic nuns. Don't forget those.

After going to the Renaissance Fest, however, Sister and I now sing Do Re Mi differently. (Dough..the stuff..that buys my beer. Ray..the guy that pours my beer...)

Anonymous said...

You are a Spin MASTER!

Anonymous said...

I bet he'd LOVE The Producers if singing Nazis are his thing...

slow panic said...

I LOVE that movie. Missed the Oprah show. Pretty sad about that.

Wenderina said...

Oh my mountain-climbing nuns this made me laugh. This is why we should never try and describe those movies that move our hearts so, because somehow, when you try to put out there in the real world....the glaring light just kills it. Dead. Really. Dead. And you didn't even linger on the part about the rich kids wearing draperies. "you know....like Scarlett O'Hara"?