Monday, December 20, 2010

In which I represent my old hag peoples.

I don't know if you know this, but Christmas is four days away.

I know!

This means that I'm finally really in the mood for Christmas music. My fancy cable offers many holiday music channels, including my favorite, Holiday Traditions. Perry Como? Bing Crosby? Twelve different renditions of "Baby, It's Cold Outside?" Yes, please!

One of the holiday channels is called Holiday Remix. Its description? "Today's hottest DJ's give tired tracks a new spin. Featuring some of the biggest acts on the turntables, this is the coolest Holiday mix tape around."

Where to begin?

First of all, I, personally, know that "DJ's" should be plural, not possessive. And I know that "Holiday" is not a proper noun. So, as long as we have that out of the way.

But "tired tracks?"

Dude. Nat King Cole might be dead, but he ain't tired.

I know I sound like I'm 35 going on 70 and wear puff-painted sweatshirts and Easy Spirit sneakers. But Christmas music is serious business. The only Christmas song from the last 30 years that I like is Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas." And it took me about 15 years to come around to that one.

I like to embody "careful consideration."

Now, before you go thinking I'm a close-minded ol' biddy, give me a minute. If you're totally jonesing for a new take on a classic, there's but one that has earned a Cha Cha Seal of Approval this holiday season.

I submit for your consideration ... Carol of the Bells. By The Muppets.

Do you have any new favorites that I should consider considering for The List of Cha Cha's Officially Sanctioned Holiday Music? Much like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, there's a waiting period. But it's so worth it.

4 comments:

Cyndi B. said...

My favorite Muppet Christmas carol is "We Wish you a Merry Christmas" with John Denver, I think? Anyway, it's the one where Animal screams "Won't Go!!" over and over during the last chorus. You know, the one about not going until we get figgy pudding?

What is figgy pudding anyway and is it really that good that you won't leave some stranger's house until you get some?

Magic27 said...

Love this Muppet (and most Muppet) video! I've always liked the Boss' "Santa Claus is coming to town" but am aware that that isn't exactly modern (and that most people find my taste in music dubious at best). Almost no holiday music available here in France (the French really, really don't know how to celebrate Christmas, believe me) so I've been singing the carols I remember from school plus (do I dare admit to liking this?) Chris de Burgh's "A spaceman came travelling" which some friends and I sang at our last high school carol service and which always sends shivers down my spine...
In answer to Cyndi B., I think "figgy pudding" is the traditional British Christmas pudding and I personally don't get very excited about it (can't get them here in France and I'm surviving), but my almost 9-year-old daughter is pretty upset that we're not having one...

itsjustme said...

I have to tell you that I LOVE the holiday remix. I want to buy these cd's. old school music gone groovy. Oh, and I still have zero decorations up. Things aren't looking good for them going up either...sigh. Oh well, christmas will have to be in my heart this year.

Angie said...

I am completely with you that nearly all good Christmas music is mid-century or earlier! The one more recent one that is worthwhile in my book (but is still many years old by now) is Harry Connick Jr.'s Christmas CD. And I bet Harry would never call those classics "tired" even if he did remake some.