With so many of my friends freaking out about turning 40, 39 seems like a non-event. For that matter, turning 40 seems like none of my concern - kind of like circumcision. I know some people get really worked up about it, but it's not really my issue.
I guess that means that I like getting older. I'm happier.
Actually, I was way more Zen before I found a white eyebrow today, and before I spent 2 hours talking about marketing with a funeral director.
But still. I am happy.
I'm happy, and I'm thankful for another year. I'm glad I'm not dead yet. Too much to do.
Here's what I've learned - in no particular order:
- Marrying a computer nerd means you'll never have to set up a router again. Totally worth it.
- Sunscreen works. Use it religiously. You'll thank me at your 20-year reunion.
- Having a bad dog isn't necessarily a reflection on you as a person. Some dogs - like some people - are just a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket. Having 1 of those dogs - or people - in your family doesn't mean you're a bad person.
- Order dessert.
- Get your thyroid tested.
- Living in an old house is a great way to hide your housekeeping skills or lack thereof. That weird smell? Old house. That crooked wall? Totally made you overlook the giant dust bunny, right?
- If you feel like going to bed early, go to bed early. It feels decadent, and it's free.
- A kind, loving partner is worth the wait. You'll be glad you didn't settle.
- Being the favorite aunt is super-cool, but sometimes, not being the mom is really hard.
- People say the wrong thing. Ninety percent of the time, they didn't mean it. Let it go. Or at least try.
- Expensive bras are worth it, especially if you're a lady of a certain ... biological wealth.
- Worrying is, sadly, not an Olympic sport. Put your imagination to better use. Like blogging!
- If it makes you feel bad, don't eat it. (Evidently, this doesn't apply to dogs and poo. They still eat it.)
- It doesn't matter how old you are - you always need your parents.
- French onion dip on a BLT is pretty much the best thing ever.
- No one knows what they're doing. We're all faking it, to varying degrees of success.
- Because I hate cleaning my car, paying to have it detailed is worth every penny. Sometimes, it's OK to throw money at a problem to make it go away.
- Don't badmouth your friend's ex because she might get back with him and then you'll feel dumb and she won't forget what you said. Unless he's a total tool, then eventually, she'll tell you how right you were.
- Everybody loves Kenny Rogers' "The Gambler." And if they say they don't, they're lying.
Wanna celebrate my birthday? Like noodleroux on Facebook and follow me on Twitter. Yes, I'm trying new things, even at my advanced age. I hope I don't break a hip.