Sunday, February 25, 2007

It's not TV. It's HBO.

My posts as of late have been a little on the crabby side. (But c'mon - The Office Overtalker totally had it coming.) And they've also been focused quite a bit on The Past. Because, evidently, that's where I'm living.

So, I'm almost embarrassed to write about this, but it's so darn absurd that I just have to.

When is the last time you turned on HBO and saw an ex?

Well, yesterday, thank you!

I was flipping channels and settled on a really moving documentary ... a documentary in which they interviewed my college sweetheart, my first love.

It was totally absurd. Thank god for my life partner, DVR, as I was able to rewind and see if that was, indeed, who I thought it was. Yup. His voice is the same. He's shaved his head, but still looks pretty much the same. I haven't seen him in 12 years, but he doesn't seem that different.

So, the whole my-ex-is-on-match.com trauma, the random remembering of trauma in his family, and now my college beau showing up on HBO of all places - well, I can't help but think that the universe is trying to tell me something. What is is that I'm not getting, one last lesson that I need to glean from this graveyard of relationships past that I need to appreciate so that I can really move forward?

Some possibilities:
Don't date tall men with fucked-up families.

Ok, so that's the only one that comes to mind immediately. I don't think that's it.

No comments: