Friday, September 12, 2008

A few things I've figured out today.

1. Wearing those "I've always loved these shoes even though they sort of hurt and the toe isn't super in-style right now" shoes can brighten your day, even if it's the sort of day when you wear your glasses because your eyes are too puffy to cram your contacts in or, really, apply mascara.

2. You'll pay the price for #1, though, when you wear those shoes all day, including a trip to the grocery. Your pinky toes will curse you and plot their revenge.

3. Watching brides pick out their gowns on Say Yes to the Dress probably isn't the greatest idea on a Friday night when you make chocolate chip cookies, eat a good portion of the dough, and consider how your boyfriend of a year and a half is reassessing whether or not you're a good match.

4. Growing your pixie haircut out goes in stages. One day, you will wake up to find that even though your boyfriend calls you ChaChabacca, you, miraculously, have something that resembles a hairstyle. This, despite the fact that just yesterday, you looked like a yeti.

5. It's impossible to think "Yeah, maybe we aren't a good match" about a boyfriend who calls you repeatedly during a bad storm to make sure you're ok because you freaked the fuck out about a thunderstorm a few nights ago. This is especially true when said boyfriend tells you to call him if you get scared and means it.

And this, dear readers, is evidently what personal growth looks like.

3 comments:

Linda Summerfield said...

The cookie dough part I understand, watching that sucky show leaves me perplexed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Anderson Cooper wearing a super tight Calvin Klein t-shirt and getting whipped around the Texas coast? That's solid entertainment, you could eat a spoonful of cookie dough every time the part in his prematurely grey hair switches sides due to 160m.p.h. winds. See, you can make it a game.
Linda

Michelle Mayer said...

The best shoe purchase I ever made was a pair of baby blue sandals with rhinestone dragonflies across the strap. They were totally impractical. I spent my entire sumer planing my wardrobe around the shoes. I still love them and my daughter plans to take them as soon as her feet are big enough.

Boyfriend calling during a storm is very sweet. What is it about men and commitment?

Becky Brown said...

Andy Cooper in a tight t-shirt? What was I thinking?

Michelle, I am jealous of the baby blue sandals. I am in love with them by description alone. But I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who plans outfits around footwear.