Sunday, November 29, 2009

Turkey sandwiches. Turkey tetrazzini. Turkey pot pie.

I have blogger guilt.

I've been a crappy blogger this fall. And it's Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend, I blogged exactly twice last week, and I don't think I have anything terribly interesting to say now.

It's weird - I started blogging as an exercise in writing, as a way to get into a rhythm of writing for myself again. And then I made all these blog friends ... and now, sometimes? Sometimes, blogging feels like that e-mail that you know you need to respond to, and you know it will only take a few minutes, but sometimes? Sometimes, it just feels like yet another item on your to-do list.

You know?

I'm sure some of this feeling is due to the fact that today, I am faced with leaving my parents' house and returning to the real world. My week is jam-packed. And this long weekend doesn't feel long at all.

Lil' Frankfurter has been partially responsible for the perceived duration of my visit. It's hard to feel rested when, well, you're not.

See, Lil' Frank is generally unsettled the first night we're either visiting or someone is visiting us. That means that our first night here, Lil' Frank woke up every hour. He went outside at midnight and 4:10. After that last foray outside, he went right back to sleep ... and I was awake for an hour. Too bad we aren't one of those families who get up in the middle of the night to put the 89-pound turkey in the oven, because I was so there.

The last few nights have been better, but Lil' Frank is still not in his element. And he's had a few accidents around the house. And he's been obsessed with the closed doors and toys that were purposely placed out of his reach. And, he got carpet burn on the pads of his feet again and bled all over creation.

Basically, he's been a high-maintenance nightmare. I have a feeling my folks will be not-so-sad to see us go.

And, truthfully, I'm emotionally tender. Last Thanksgiving, I lost the Geriatric Poodle. So, there's that.

But, sleep deprivation or no, I have much to be thankful for. I've had a great time with my family. We are all healthy. We have been laughing a lot. We are warm and safe and have the luxury of being sick and tired of turkey.

I wish the same for you.

3 comments:

Patti said...

So relieved that entry didn't end with "I've decided to take a blogging break"...

Have a safe trip home and a smooth re-entry.

Anonymous said...

What drawer queen said! I was worried too. Yes, I am blessed. And not with a high maintenance dog, but with a lot of other things. Your dog stories make me laugh. I think part of why I love your posts is because your life is SO different than mine, yet oddly similar.

sherilee said...

I hear you on the blogging... but I encourage you to keep on keeping on, even if it is only two posts a week. They are two posts that I always look forward to, so there.

As for your post title, I hit the turkey wall on Saturday afternoon when I ordered pizza for the family. Could. Not. Eat. Another. Bite. (of turkey, that is)