Thursday, December 4, 2008

Nacho cheese flavor, of course.

Some days, I go all day trying to figure out what I'm going to blog about. And some days, I never quite figure it out. Case in point: yesterday.

But today, I knew within six minutes of rolling out of bed.

I threw on some clothes and took a very excited Foxie Doxie for a very cold walk. As we walked down the driveway, I saw my very kind neighbor walking his "puppy," Teddy. Teddy is a springer spaniel and although he's only eight months old, he's roughly the size of a Geo Metro. Both Teddy and his dad are sweet as can be.

Foxie Doxie, all 14 pounds of him, growled and charged Teddy.

I apologized profusely. "I'm so sorry! He's been acting up - my other dog just died."

Teddy's dad's eyes got big. "What? Oh, honey! When?"

"Friday." And then ... in my outdated walking-the-dog coat and my maybe-she's-a-chemo-patient stocking cap, I started crying in the middle of the street. Six minutes after I rolled out of bed.

Teddy's dad was kind, and he offered reassurance. "I know how hard that is."

And he does. Before Teddy, there was Fred, a geriatric cocker spaniel. Fred would meander down the block and back with his dad twice a day. The round trip took them about half an hour.

Sometime last winter, I stopped seeing Fred and his entourage.

And then last spring? I saw my sweet neighbor standing in his driveway with the biggest smile on his face. He was looking down at a small brown and white puppy.

So, he does know.

Even though my day started out with the delight of having tears freeze to my cheeks, it's been a good one. Today, things just are what they are. I'm here. And it's just all right.

Plus, my faith has been bolstered by dinner with a friend and drinks with three others. One of my coworkers sent a condolence card to me ... and one to Foxie Doxie. And ... DallasDiva's comment about dogs' feet smelling like Doritos? It's totally true.

7 comments:

LaDue & Crew said...

My youngest sons name is Teddy... he's 12. But you don't want to smell his feet. I do, however, threaten to use doggie clippers to cut his toenails.

SCREAMING FOR CHOCOLATE said...

Thank you for the morning laugh. Not that your loss is funny but the dogs feet smelling like doritos just slayed me. Have a wonderful day....

Coco

Anonymous said...

It's a gift to find a kindred spirit, isn't it? I bet he was glad to help by listening.

Mrs. G. said...

Have a good weekend. I'm so sorry about your pup.

Linda Summerfield said...

Have you ever read the ingredients on a Doritos bag? I believe the third ingredient listed is funky foot. Is this kind sensitive, dog loving neighbor single??? I'm just thinking.

Madge said...

"today things just are what they are. i'm here, and that's just all right." i like that.

you gotta wonder said...

I'm jealous because I have a cat. I smelled his feet and I got nothing ... no snack food, no nothing. Just a funny look from the cat.