Sunday, February 3, 2013

Cut me some slack.

My recent tell-all about my misguided junior high show choir experiences started out as horribly embarrassing, but ended up bringing me such joy. Did you guys know that Gary was part of a 7th-grade Barry Manilow tribute that, sadly, never saw the light of day? Cyndi B.'s show choir sang "Through the Eyes of Love." And Karen? Well, she chickened out before singing Styx's "Babe" at a talent show.

Karen, my glee club sang "Babe" at the county home. It was one of those performances where you feel the need to apologize to the audience afterwards.

We all have those embarrassing stories, but I think they're lovely. They all reflect our need to create and explore and celebrate the things we love. And if we can stop being embarrassed, we can also see that the flaws are what make everything so beautiful and perfect.

No, I'm not high. I'm still digesting a fantastic movie My Guy and I saw Thursday night.

Now, my hard-core love of Dave Grohl is well-documented. So, of course I was going to see his new documentary, "Sound City." It played in theatres for 1 night only, and is now available for download.

I don't want to be bossy or anything, but you should go download this movie right this damned second.

"Sound City" is about a southern California recording studio of the same name. You won't even believe all of the folks who recorded there - Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, REO Speedwagon, Rick Springfield, Pat Benatar, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, and about a gajillion other people. People like Barry effing Manilow.

Sound City was a dump, but it had this amazing sound board, 1 of only 4 like it. The studio recorded on tape - never digital - and had a signature sound. But with the rise of digital recording, the studio fell on hard times. And then ... well, you just need to see the movie.

But the film is about more than some sound studio. It's all these people talking about their love of music - real music, human music with flaws and imperfections - and the joy of creating. There's such joy to being a creative person, to making something that reflects your heart and soul - critics be damned.

This is a movie about being alive.

It was the perfect antidote to any tiny little fears I might have had about leaving Corporate America. I'm a creative person. I'm doing the right thing. And yeah, I might have teared up a little during this movie. It's just ... lovely.

Also? I still love Barry Manilow. But that plastic surgery? Oh, for the love. What did I just say about beauty being in the imperfections?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have me intrigued.
And suffering an earworm of "Babe" now.

Kelley said...

When you say the name 'Styx' the first thing that comes to mind is one of the 'it' girls in junior high auditioning for the talent show, doing some weird dance/perfect cheer to 'Renegade'. I was simultaneously embarassed for her and in awe of the guts she had to get up and do that. I was the quiet one in the choir who whispered/sang to just get through the semester.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

they told all about this flick on NPR I heard it! and, well, Barry lives, you know? REALLY! On tour now, i guess....

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Your glee club sang "Babe" at the county home... There are no words... not sure if I should laugh or cry!

Cyndi B. said...

Going to look this up tonight, thanks for the recommendation!

Barry came to town last year and his tickets were WAY out of my budget. He can still pull them in!