Thursday, July 30, 2009

Publishers Clearing House ain't got nothin' on me.

My heart has been a little bit broken lately.

I've been working like a crazy mad woman. And it's catching up with me.

Last night, I got home a little before 6, which was really early for me. I watched two hours of Friends reruns, all the while wishing I could just go to bed. Finally, I talked to my mom and she said, "You're a night owl, and I have spent so much of my life trying to get you to go to bed. But nothing would make me happier than if you went to bed right now."

I cried. And then I went to bed. I slept 10 hours last night. And it was glorious.

But today, the work was still there, and it's coming in faster than I can send it back out. And I'm really good at my job, too. But, alas, I am human.

And because I'm human, I'm also having flashbacks to this time last year. Last year, when I was also crazy crazy stressed at work. And I was trying desperately to ignore the fact that my relationship with The Ex-Boyfriend Formerly Known as Mr. Wonderful was going to hell.

I'm remembering all this stuff that I buried. Like how Ex-Wonderful capped off a week-long July vacation by announcing to me less than an hour from home that he just didn't have his act together enough for us to get engaged by the end of the year. Or how he made me cry in front of the bathroom remodeling guy because 1 / 4 of my front car tire was on his new concrete drive that wasn't supposed to be driven on for another 12 hours. Or any number of other signs that sweet eight-pound, six-ounce baby Jesus, this was so not the man for me.

Really? It's been a stressful year.

But it's also been a really sweet year. Like tonight.

I worked from home today and was so busy working that I never changed out of my rather ripe dog-walking clothes from this morning. And my hair made me look vaguely homeless. But I went over to my friend Kate's house for dinner anyway. And she didn't act like I looked like crap, even though I know I did.

Kate made homemade pizza - like, homemade crust and everything. Did you know that you can do that? Yeah, me neither. We laughed and ate and gossiped and laughed some more. Then we stalked college friends and frenemies on Facebook, which took about two hours. Finally, I left because it's a school night ... but it was a little late to be running to the grocery, which I needed to do without question because I was totally and completely out of toilet paper.

Kate sent me home with a party favor: not one, but two rolls of toilet paper.

I feel wealthy beyond belief. And my heartbreak isn't so fresh.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know life is rich when you can count your blessings on the anniversary of a crappy day. I'm so glad for you.

T@iy@ said...

Around our house the pizza crust fairy makes the crust. Oh, wait... that's just what my husband thinks. Making the crust is not that glorious of an experience... speaking from experience.

Molly said...

isn't it amazing the stuff we forget? I had so many moments when I thought about things my ex had said or done. and I started to realize how wrong it was

sherilee said...

That stuff is always so much better in the rearview mirror--and the further away, the better! Yeah for you for moving on, though and past the bad memories!

LaDue & Crew said...

Isn't it so cool to have friends that don't let friends drive home without T.P.?! Homemade pizza, too... See, you are absolute fabulosity, and don't you forget it!

Sara said...

I love you, dear! And so do many, many other people. Regardless of what our hair looks like, you will never be homeless or friendless.

Also, I'm sending you my super-easy recipe for homemade whole wheat garlic crust and not-quite-as-easy-but-damned-good homemade sauce. Just made it again last night and it always makes me feel like a domestic goddess, which we both know is not true.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Sara... let's pass those recipes on, shall we???

And yay for Kate and all good friends who care about whether or not we can wipe our butts.

SCREAMING FOR CHOCOLATE said...

It is wonderful to have great friends like that. If you can't look like a homeless person with them then they don't love you. She obviously does.

I hope you get a break soon from corporate behemoth. But..with this economy look at it as job security.