Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Could it be magic?

No Name Dog now officially has a name. I've been calling him various and sundry monikers, and tonight, one of them stuck. I called out as he was running away from me and he stopped, turned, and looked at me.

Here? We shall call him Frankfurter.

Lil' Frankfurter attended book club with me. This meant that he had to ride in the car, which is evidently a fate worse than death. He barked the entire 15 -minute ride. However, I'm thinking that all was forgiven when he spent the two hours that followed being passed from one adoring friend to another. He didn't even have an accident - I was so proud.

Here's the thing about book club: we don't usually read the book. We start out with the best intentions, and, well, you know. Last month, we read Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri. I listened to it in my car, finishing it about two weeks after the meeting when we were supposed to discuss it. This month, we were to discuss The Kitchen God's Wife. I accidentally purchased The Joy Luck Club instead. Whoops.

We've been meeting for almost six years, and it's funny - this group of almost strangers has evolved into my dearest, closest friends. These are the women to call when you're in a panic or when you just need to show off your new dog. I'm so proud to call these women my friends.

Also? Also, we stopped being polite a long time ago. I like that. And even when everything else is going to shit, we make each other laugh. Tonight I was going to leave early because I have a periodontist appointment at the crack of dawn. And of course I ended up having just a bit more wine and staying just a bit longer. As you do.

I'm starting to wonder why I was so depressed.

4 comments:

LaDue & Crew said...

We women, we're so versatile! Men would read, AND discuss the book. Oh, and then they'd go home. Not us! That's why we're better ;o)

Frankfurter- I love it! A name like that deserves another photo shoot of the little bugger. I have to show his cousin, Vinny.

Ahhhh, I remember my crack of dawn days in dentistry. I was in it for over 20 years, and don't miss it a bit. Although the 6'5", 300 lb man crying like a baby when he was getting his anesthesia was pretty funny... considering he had freakin tattoos all over- go figure. Holler if you have any questions. I need to test my memory every once in a while ;o)

Anonymous said...

That's so cool--I love that you have a book club and that Frankfurter is duly named.

Beth said...

Great name. I'm glad that you and Foxie have a new member of the family. I'm sure he will bring even more joy than he already has. Keep the photos coming of both the cuties.

Gretchen Hembree said...

Had a great time with you! Gotta love book club! H....I mean Frankfurter is adorable!