Tuesday, November 18, 2008

With hosiery and Pashminas for all.

So, I’m back from The Big Apple.

It was fantastic.

Nevermind the fact that my flight was delayed, or that once we arrived at LaGuardia, we sat for half an hour before they would let us off the plane. Bygones.

No, let us focus on the fact that I met up with my friend Jen, and we took a taxi to the swank penthouse apartment that My Gay Eighth Grade Boyfriend shares with his husband. Let us focus on the two darling yellow labs who greeted us and forced us to fall in love with them. Let us also focus on the kind hospitality of our host, and the rooftop terrace with a hot tub that overlooked the financial district skyline.

Sometimes, God / Buddha / Oprah just fucking PROVIDES, you know? I had no idea how badly I needed to sit in a hot tub and drink wine in the middle of Manhattan. But evidently, I totally did! And I totally needed to follow it up with a steam in the coolest shower / sauna ever.

So, we soaked. And we drank. And we walked all over, and we ate all sorts of deliciousness. New York pizza. Fantastic Greek food in a Greek diner that was, inexplicably, blasting Donna Summer’s entire body of work. Brunch and mimosas. Tapas and sangria. Dutch butter almond cake. And chocolate. And we got dessert from a place that sells nothing but rice pudding.

We wandered around Chinatown and Little Italy and SoHo. We got massages in Chinatown – an experience during which I kept thinking, “I am paying for the privilege of having a little Chinese man beat the shit out of me. Hmm.” I have the bruises (seriously!) to prove it, but I think it’s all about releasing toxins, so ok.

We got up early and got a behind-the-scenes tour of Good Morning America, which I’ll dish on when I score some photographic proof of our exploits. We took the ferry to see the Statue of Liberty. And we did a teensy bit of shopping. I bought two pairs of knee-highs at Century 21. Because I am extravagant like that. We also hit Chinatown and bought some Pashminas. Because they are fabulous.

But mostly? Mostly, we just explored and relaxed and took it all in and recharged and found the kind of love and energy that only comes from people who know all about you and love you anyway.

I was sad to go, but had a great conversation with the cabbie on the ride back to the airport. He promised me that I will find love, so you know it’s true. However, based on my weekend, I think I already have.

8 comments:

PJHornbergerFolkArtist.com said...

Yeah!!!!

you gotta wonder said...

You rock! You're the envy. Congrats on having a good time this weekend.

Madge said...

i love that -- "based on my weekend i already have"

so glad you had a great weekend. i heart nyc -- wait, someone should put that on a shirt.

Linda Summerfield said...

Beautiful! A restaurant that only serves rice pudding may be the answer to everything. So glad you had a lovely time.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a fab. weekend. I LOVED going to that city and it sounds like your friends treated you right.

jean said...

I'm so glad you had fun. It's nice to get away with friends and NYC is a great place to visit.

Tumble Fish Studio said...

I am GREEN, emerald green with envy but am so happy you had such an amazing weekend. Wow! I want to go on a trip with you - you know how to pack it in and in the most delicious way! And, cab drivers know everything, they do! So feel good about what's waiting around the bend for you!
Marsha

Saucy said...

Loved this post. You are on your way to getting past all of this junk, one shopping excursion at a time! You needed this.