Friday, January 23, 2009

And then we saw Cheech!

No, we didn't run into Cheech Marin on the second date, although that would have been really nice symmetry with our Tommy Chong sighting on the first date.

Mr. Date Guy and I saw Frost / Nixon. It's a really great movie - very thought provoking. And in my current growing-out-my-hair state, I now know who I want to be for Halloween. With just a little overzealous blowdrying and about a can of AquaNet, I think I could be late 70s-era David Frost:
Seriously. The hair in this movie was to die for!

As for the date ... Mr. Date Guy got a headache during the movie and asked me if I had any aspirin, which I didn't. After the movie, we went to a restaurant, figuring that surely someone there would slip us a Motrin or something. They kept promising but we were denied.

So. The first date, he had slept in an airport the night before and was exhausted. The second date, he had a headache. Both dates were fun-ish, but he has been sort of impaired for both.

I must admit that driving home from Corporate Behemoth today, I called Alice for a pre-date pep talk. She was spellbinding in her succinctness.

"Of course you should go. What the hell else are you going to do on a Friday night? Sit on your couch?"

We *heart* Alice.

I will share these facts:

  • Mr. Date Guy looked really cute.

  • At one point, Mr. Date Guy put his arm around me while we were walking and I liked it.

  • Mr. Date Guy informed the waiter that we wouldn't be having dessert without asking me or explaining that his headache was raging, and that sort of pissed me off. Because Cha Cha? Needs her daily recommended dosage of refined sugar. No, not really. But because it was assumed that I was sort of along for the ride.

  • Mr. Date Guy has shown a proclivity for answering questions and not asking questions in return. I'm not sure whether to chalk this up to exhaustion / headache; I'm-a-guy-and-have-weak-conversational-skills; or a complete disregard for Cha Cha as a human being.

  • I had forgotten how much work dating is. It's exhausting.
I say all this and yet ... I would be willing to go out again. Let me see Mr. Date Guy when he's not going on an hour of sleep or nursing a headache. Because even when he's not at his best, he's still got potential. Way better than the guy I dated who peeled callouses off his hands ... and ate them. But that's a story for another day.
Image courtesy of movies.about.com.

14 comments:

LaDue & Crew said...

I'd say 3 dates, and if he passes on your dessert again, {{{flush}}}...
My word verification is "wormil"... take it as a sign!!

Tumble Fish Studio said...

I agree. 3rd time's a charm, we hope. Or, 3 strikes and you're out depending on your optimism vs. pessimism point of view. I'm a half empty girl married to a very devoted half full guy. Who, by the way, is about as much fun as stick in the evenings these days. He works really hard so he would probably do worse than your guy on a date as of the last 2-3 years. He goes to bed about 9 and wakes up about 5 and I am a night owl. And, a date? We don't have those cutesy date nights other married folks with teenage kids have. So, I definitely say keep trying 'til you're sure. He may be as tired and unsure of how to approach things as you are.

Rebecca said...

Yup, 3rd date for sure! You need to see this guys without a headache or exhausted. But I would generally say that people show their true colors pretty early so if you see that he's not considerate (dessert) or not really listening to you (just talking about himself) then you can be a little more cautious with this one.

BUT, he deserves an open mind because when you have a bad headache, live can really suck and maybe he made a real effort to suck it up and be a good date.

Linda Summerfield said...

Unless Mr. Date Guy had a gunshot wound to the head that had to be immediately attended to, he should have asked you if you would like dessert. I am also from the school of not letting my date know I am suffering.
Give him another chance, but he's on very thin ice!
Your Pal,
Linda

you gotta wonder said...

I am staying tuned. I can't wait to hear how round 3 goes.

SCREAMING FOR CHOCOLATE said...

GAG...that peeling and eating off your hand is gross.....kind of like chewing off your toe nails..

Coco

Cyndi B. said...

I'm with the majority, give it three dates. Three strikes; you're out. (although for me, the whole dessert thing would have been a deal breaker)

The hair in Frost/Nixon WAS great! I forgot how cool 70's hair was.

Madge said...

the dessert thing? not cool. ugghh, men are stupid sometimes. the not asking questions? hmmm..


of course i have not been on a date in 15 years, so i am hardly one to give advice -- unless regularly glaring at my husband at his inability to get his underwear into the hamper counts as a date....

Unknown said...

I agree he is on thin ice. I suffer from bad headaches too and know it is difficult to concentrate sometimes, but he should have at least asked if you minded skipping dessert so he could get home to rest his head. Hopefully, he won't be sick or tired on your next date.

jean said...

Eww, sweet lord. Peeled and then ate them? Please tell me you didn't go on a second date with that one?!

I'm glad the date went well. Maybe try going out for dinner midweek next time?

And yes, dating is very hard work. My brother is doing it and his stories are hysterical.

itsjustme said...

Alright give 'em three. Mainly because I really am enjoying having a friend in the cesspool of love. I'm concerned about his love of self. Boy needs to be asking you questions. I'd ask a ton of questions if I was going out with you. . .wait that didn't sound right. You know what I mean.

P.S. my word verification is chies. Like "chies" what is wrong with this guy???

Christy said...

Hmmmm I think you're a nicer person than I am. I think he should have kept his mouth shut about his lack of sleep and headache, and should have opened it to ask whether you'd like dessert. Hmpft.

Sara said...

Dave and I are casting all of our electoral votes for "NEXT!" D's manview is that if that's all the effort he can muster on the *first* two dates, he sucks. But he also says if the guy calls again, you should tell him you're not getting the vibe that he's very interested in you...if he is interested, he'll shape up. And that's dating advice from my husband.

Sarahviz said...

That second-to-last sentence made me puke in my mouth a little.