Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Mad propellers. I mean, mad props.

A few days after Thanksgiving, I sat in the booth of a Mexican restaurant with my parents. The Geriatric Poodle had just died, and I was feeling low. My folks sat next to each other across from me, joking yet again that the reason they got married was because my dad needed a roommate.

For some reason, I looked at them and asked if they were disappointed that they don't have grandkids. After all, my brother Poochie and I are both complete underachievers in the procreation department.

I was surprised and delighted by the response I received.

"Oh, God no," my dad said. "All the people we know who have grandchildren got really boring!"

Of course, this was followed with a "if-happens-we'd-be-delighted" caveat, and the reminder that me and Poochie excluded, my dad doesn't even like kids. It all made me laugh.

The truth of the matter, though, is that my parents are incredibly interesting people. Not in a "hosting a salon and drinking port and talking about The New Yorker" sort of way. No, they are truly interesting in that they are always learning and trying new stuff.

My mom is the reason why I held an entire table of friends captive - and silent - with an off-hand comment about the lovely quilt on my bed. They were shocked and delighted to hear that my mom made the quilt. She's an incredible quilter - and this is a fairly recent hobby.

For a birthday that ends in a zero, my dad decided that he wanted to become a pilot. He takes such joy in flying. And on Monday? He received his instrument rating.

Are my folks cool or what?

It occurred to me that in addition to winning the parental lottery, I have also won the role model lottery. It was always a given that you volunteer in the community. It was always a given that you be a reader and a listener. And, I'm realizing, it's a given that you keep growing and stretching and exploring.

And for that? I'm thankful. Even if my dad never wanted kids in the first place.

11 comments:

LaDue & Crew said...

How awesome is that?! Total love is a blessing, but complete acceptance is absolute icing. I want to hang with your folks... maybe your mom can give me some quilting tips- my points totally suck ;o)

Christy said...

Aww they do so awesome. And I'm sure they feel the same way -- that they won the lottery in the kids department too!

Iron Needles said...

Very cool that you have parents worth appreciating, that you do appreciate, and that you let them know you appreciate them.

It's a gift not to be taken for granted. All do not have such.

Madge said...

they sound wonderful. you are very lucky....

Rebecca said...

They sound great! I love that your dad learned to fly. How cool is that? My mom is very creative also and I'm constantly pointing out things that she's made for me. Put a picture of the quilt on the blog so we can admire it too!

Great parents are a true blessing.

Linda Summerfield said...

You are certainly a wonderful reflection on the fine job they did as parents.
Your Pal,
Linda

you gotta wonder said...

Ditto everyone who got here before me.

(seems like a waste of comment, but I can't think of anything to add).

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of your relationship with your parents...they exceed awesomeness.

itsjustme said...

Your parents sound great. So, have you begun work to make your dad your personal air taxi? That could be big fun. : )

Luckily I am the youngest of 4, so the first 3 took care of the having kids thing leaving me totally free to do whatever the hell I want.

Works out, cause I kinda would have done that anyway ; )

Claire B. said...

Your folks ARE cool. Much preferred over the "why haven't you made us grandparents?" type. Not that I know from experience. Luckily our sibs all took care of that need.

I love them already.

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Not only does it seem you have great parents, YOU are the perfect daughter. Very warm to read this tonight.