Saturday, January 17, 2009

High art.

The date? Went well. We met at an art museum.

And at the art museum? We saw Tommy Chong.
As you do. We were looking at a photography exhibit and I caught a glimpse of a dude with really nice silver hair looking at the photograph next to us. Something in my brain went, "OMG! Famous person!" I alerted my date via oh-so-subtle whisper, and he moved to oh-so-subtly attempt a positive ID. The results? Inconclusive.

But later, we were walking along a corridor, discussing the pros and cons of an actual Tommy Chong sighting when the dude walked towards us and made that "Yeah, I'm famous. Give me a break" eye contact. It was most definitely Tommy Chong.

So, after that, we went out for Thai food. Because stalking Tommy Chong makes you hungry.

The date was fun. It felt natural to be hanging out with a new person, trying each other on for size.

But then I came home and immediately felt the need to put on my fleece pajamas and sit on the couch and drink tea. Because pretending to be normal for several hours is exhausting. But I loved Dallas Diva's comment to think about dating as practice - practice until you find the right guy.

Immediately after reading that, I discovered that My Sometimes Boyfriend Dave Grohl had not one but two concerts on TV tonight. Was my date just practice for sitting on my couch, watching Dave Grohl?

I'm going to guess probably not. But it was a nice one-two punch.

Image courtesy of Getty

11 comments:

LaDue & Crew said...

Sometimes it's knowing you can finally get out there and do it that makes that date important. He doesn't have to be "the one". But he can be the stepping stone to your future ;o) Hey, fleece jammies are the bomb...

itsjustme said...

I'm glad you had fun on the time. Acting normal exhausts me too. So, any unsolicited over the top touching or was it all ok? Kiss at the end of the night? Of course, I'm trying to do some serious note comparing!

itsjustme said...

On the time? I need to slow down when I type. on the date.

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! You know, I agree with LaDue. Even if he wasn't "The One", you got a delicious spicy dinner, AND a Tommy Chong siting. That's reason enough ;-)

jean said...

As long as you had fun, consider the night a success. The others are right, it is just practice.

Iron Needles said...

Sounds like an all around good time. Oh. I just got 'high art'. Jeesh. A little slow I am.

See. I was Mr. Chong when both he and I were much younger...

Iron Needles said...

I meant 'watched' Mr. Chong...

Tumble Fish Studio said...

I am so slow. I have been sitting here wondering if Tommy Chong was some famous photographer or designer or artist I am too hickish to know about. And after looking at the pic a third or fourth time, it finally dawned on me. Duh. I mean DUH!

The first thing that popped into my head about the date is, maybe that is a good omen to have a celebrity sighting on a first date, and then your favorite thing available to watch on TV when you got home!

I like the practice theory too though. It sounds like a great evening. Glad it went well.

you gotta wonder said...

I am glad the date went well. A Tommy sighting is over the top. What a great way to jump back into the game.

Anonymous said...

Glad it was fun--that's what I hoped for you.

Madge said...

glad you had fun and yeah, acting normal is the most exhausting thing EVER