Thursday, January 1, 2009

Dick Clark got nothin' on me.

Happy new year, all!

My new year's eve turned out to be a study in Why it Sucks to be Alone. I have been fighting a cold for a few days, and last night I just felt craptastic. So I went to the bowling alley, as planned, but didn't take off my coat. Instead, I just tried to pay and leave. I just wanted to be alone with my couch.

Well, my friends didn't let me pay, but they gave me well wishes as I headed off to the grocery to procure Kleenex and NyQuil. When I pulled into the parking lot, I was afraid the store was closed. But no, no it's just that only total losers go to the grocery store at 9 p.m. on new year's eve.

I saw a beautiful woman in a full-length fur agonizing over flavors of gourmet ice cream. I wanted to hug her and tell her that I was having that sort of new year's eve, too, but I think my cart and snot told her all she needed to know.

So, Foxie Doxie and I fell asleep on the couch and were roused by a surprising number of fireworks at midnight. I tried to remember how I spent last new year's eve, but it's a bit of a blur. I think Mr. Wonderful and I played games with his friends. I was excited about the upcoming year.

Hahahaha.

But I am excited about 2009. My cold is mostly gone, so that's an awesome start. But I'm also excited about a handful of resolutions.

I like to be crafty, but that's something that I haven't made time for very much in the last few years. 2009 will be different.

I also like to cook. I'm going to do more of that in 2009.

But the big resolution?

Well, BFF works for The Government. In October, she moved to a struggling African nation that is working to get its shit together, including standardizing its education system. Due to the nature of BFF's work and the fact she works for The Government, I can't go into too much detail, but suffice to say she's awesome, it's a cool job and I am waaaay proud of her.

But we are both astounded by some of the basic issues faced by the lovely people of her new home.

Countless girls miss a week of school every month because they don't have feminine supplies.

Libraries aren't well stocked and are hardly ever utilized by women.

Well, if there are two things I love in this world, they're books and feminine hygiene. So, my big resolution this year is to send care packages to BFF - one a month - containing pads and paperbacks.

We aren't sure about the cultural issues surrounding tampons. But I don't think not being able to swim is a big deal as long as the girls can freakin' go to school.

I'm pretty excited about this. I love shopping for bargains, and for books, and for gifts, so this is perfect. I do need some help, though.

I need suggestions for books that will appeal to women, are kind of a junior-high-ish reading level and would be considered part of the American canon. The best example I have so far is To Kill a Mockingbird, but I'm also thinking about I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and The Diary of Anne Frank.

What are some other books for which I should be on the lookout?

And how are you resolving to spend 2009?

11 comments:

Madge said...

i'm resolving to get the heck out of my head -- at least a little bit, to be much more crafty, to read more, to declutter my life of the activities that get in the way of me doing things that leave me content and fulfilled

Rebecca said...

I'm still working on my resolutions but I love yours, especially the care package idea.

I also love that giving is so much a part of your life and makes you so happy. It says a lot about the kind of person you are.

I'm so happy that we've become blog friends!

I hope 2009 will kick 2008's ass!

Rachel from Maine said...

Congratulations on your New Year's Resolutions! Does Foxie Doxie have any? *smile*

As far as books/authors go, how about Judy Blume and Lois Lowry? I know they helped me through my early teen years. Please keep us posted on how the girls are doing and any ways we could help, okay?

Unknown said...

Little Women, Great Expectations, and I haven't read them but I so many of my friends are raving about The Twilight series.

Just a comment on the tie between Geriatric Poodle and LadyBug. GP gave you unconditional love for 8 years and supported you through the mother of all breakups. Don't know how anyone could question the tie.

Happy New Year! I'm with you - 2009 is going to be a great year!

Linda Summerfield said...

My resolution is to gain tons of weight, really pack on the pounds! I decided that since my resolution has always been to lose weight and the opposite always happens, I'd give this angle a try.
Sorry about you New Years Eve, 2008 truly sucked.
I would gladly send crates of giant pads and books to your friend in Africa, can you provide an address?
Your Pal,
Linda

Claire B. said...

You are good. 2009 is going to be awesome for you. I can feel it.

I stumbled upon this organization (thanks to a fellow blogger) http://www.goods4girls.org/

I learned a lot there. Disposables can make, well, disposal, of course, an issue. Reusable is the key. And Cha Cha, they look for crafty people to sew them! There you go. Two resolutions, one stone. And it's easy for non-sewers like me to just send a few bucks to help.

Great cause and thanks for bringing it to the light! HNY!

hope505 said...

Happy New Year, chacha!! I had a carbon-copy of your new years eve...nursing a cold! ugh! And I haven't made my list (I make a list of goals to accomplish in the coming year, not necessarily 'resolutions')..yet...
::snuffle:: ah-chooo!

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge Steinbeck and Hemmingway fan. I love your resolutions--enjoy doing all of them!

Christy said...

I admire your resolutions! What if one wanted to donate to your care packages? Would you provide an address on here or email me? I loved reading Nancy Drew, Judy Blum, The Secret Garden, Little House on the Prairie, Rebecca...

Anonymous said...

Anything by Joshilyn Jackson!

Dory

Sandee B said...

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn! Or a book of poems by Langston Hughes. Looking forward to seeing you soon!