Thursday, January 22, 2009

Letters, oh we get letters.

I would like to say that the best thing about blogging is the art of the writing, stretching my creative muscles. But really? Really, the best thing about blogging is the comments. I love to hear what other people have to say. Usually, comments make me laugh. Especially in the last few months, comments have bolstered me and given me the courage to trudge on.

Thank you.

I’ve had some questions posed in the comments lately that are just too important not to address in this public forum.

When I discussed the various challenges that would face would-be-suitors should they compete for my affections on a Rock of Love-esque reality show, my sweet friend Gretchen posed a very important question: In the IKEA challenge is the profanity a pro or a con? Personally the more you use the better the piece of furniture it turns out to be! :)

Mmm. I’d like to apologize for not being clearer about my intents with the IKEA challenge in the original post. To be fair, the profanity is a place to earn style points. I’m looking for creativity and a lack of malicious intent. Basically, make me laugh but don’t make me afraid to be in the same room. Realize that much like the dad in A Christmas Story, my old man works in profanity the way others work in clay or oils. I appreciate a good profanity-laced tirade.

On that same post, You Gotta Wonder noted, The key to remember is that you can't change the person you fall in love with, so you'll have to take the bad with the good. Are there weighting factors for your criteria or are all things measured equally?

Sadly, I do know you can’t change the person you fall in love with. Because, people, I have tried. As for weighting factors for my criteria … I have to say that the PMS challenge trumps all others. I can live without a partner who is good at flea markets or who can put together IKEA furniture. But showing kindness, especially to a loved one in need? That’s not negotiable.

My dramatic recounting of my blind date had my dating partner in crime Dallas Diva asking the question on everyone’s mind: So, any unsolicited over the top touching or was it all ok? Kiss at the end of the night?

What do you mean “unsolicited?”

I kid! I kid!

Mr. Date Guy hugged me when we met and hugged me at the end of the date. I felt that the nice-to-meet-you hug was a good sign. At no point did he attempt to find my tonsils or do a pap smear. Which is good. And is paying off for him, as we are going to a movie this weekend.

I need your commenting power now more than ever. Any ideas on good, non-chick-flick date movies? It can’t be a movie that will make me cry, because I am not an attractive crier. And Marley and Me is so very obviously out for so many reasons. Thoughts?

Oh, and cndymkr / jean? Don’t worry. I’ll shave my legs. I don’t remember why it’s important, either, but who am I to fight tradition?

10 comments:

LaDue & Crew said...

I haven't been to a grown up movie in so long, I suck at helping my good friend figure one out. Do however, bring a toothpick for the popcorn that may get stuck in your teeth, do not- by God- eat anything gassy before you go, and keep a mirror handy to check for those pesky nose hair clinging boogies. And while this may not be in the forefront of your mind at the moment, don't forget to stock the nightstand with uh, something latex. Running to Walgreen's in the throes just seems to kill the moment.

Tumble Fish Studio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca said...

Yeah! How fun. I love the second date. You're past the awkwardness of the first date but it's still so new and filled with potentially heart pounding moments.

I just saw Gran Torino. It was GREAT! It's as far from chick flick as you can go. BUT, it is a little sad and rough at times to watch in terms of violence. I love Clint Eastwood and thought he was amazing in it.

Good luck darling!

Cyndi B. said...

My daughter said Gran Torino was great. She wasn't so up on Benjamin Button, though. She also said Defiance was good, but then said she feel asleep during the movie. And a coworker highly recommends Slumdog Millionaire.

Love the blog!!

Unknown said...

I agree with Gran Torino. That would have been my choice too. It looks like there is an underlying love story in Slumdog Millionaire, but my friends said it is great. Inkheart with Brendan Frasier just opened and his movies are usually decent but light.

you gotta wonder said...

I haven't been on a 2nd date in over 23 years so I can't add value there, and I haven't been to the theater in a while, but I threatened to go last weekend. This was based on a recommendation by 3 male engineers: "Yes Man" seemed to have been a hit with them. So that's all of the value I can add today. (Based on comments, I may change my mind and go see Gran Torino).

Have fun on your date (but not too much fun!). And post, post, post afterwards. I'm enjoying dating vicariously through you and the Diva.

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Hi Cha Cha - I deleted my post cuz it was too long and possibly a little too over the top for some of your G rated audiences. It was definitely PG-13. I forget it's not just you that will see what I write sometimes. So, I'll email you. Have a great date!
Marsha

Claire B. said...

Gosh, where the hell have I been? You're going on Second Dates and I'm all "whaaaaat?"

That's terrific Cha Cha! We're on a spend zero dollars doing anything remotely fun program, so while I can't actually recommend a movie I've seen, I can tell you that I'm jonsing for Slumdog Millionaire. It's the feel-good movie of the month!

Have a blast.

Linda Summerfield said...

Dear Cha Cha,
Frost/Nixon is the perfect movie, you can have an interesting conversation afterwards. Slumdog Millionaire gets a little sketchy in parts and ends with the weirdest dance number. Under no circumstances should you see The Reader, full frontal nudity!!! I have a funny feeling that most guys are going to feel a wee bit inadequate, I almost choked on my popcorn during the willy scenes. Revolutionary Road makes you feel kind of suicidal if you're already married, and it will make you and your date never want to get married. I loved the movie Milk, but lots of dicey 1970's gay sex. I started snoring in Valkerie with Tom Cruise.How about My Bloody Valentine in 3-D???
Your Pal,
Linda

jean said...

It's been a while since I've gone to a movie with a rating above PG-13. I did get to see "Paul Blart" last weekend and it was good. But I wouldn't think it was a good date movie. Good luck.