Saturday, January 10, 2009

The people have spoken.

And, evidently, our diets are all severely deficient in elephant-related cuteness.

So, I want to share something that I saw on PBS, like, eight years ago. It has stayed with me and is such a statement about love and true, deep friendship. This story truly makes my heart glad.

This is from a documentary on Nature called "The Urban Elephant." The story is split between two videos here - the first is about five minutes, and the second is seven. I highly recommend both, but if you need the skip the first one, you can jump to the second one.

This is the story of Shirley, an elephant who was in the circus and lived 20 years in a zoo with no other elephants. She finds a new home at The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee.





And then? And then, my heart exploded.

3 comments:

itsjustme said...

OH. MY. GOD. I went to PBS and read a little more about Shirley and Jenny. Made me cry even more. I love elephants.

you gotta wonder said...

Wow! That was really powerful. The last scene showing them hugging knocked me over. And - I'm glad to know my sister's already seen it so I don't have to say "Hey! Have you checked out Cha Cha's post on the elephants!" :)

Sandee B said...

Okay, you have to check out the elephant and the dog friendship, too. It'll make your heart explode, too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs_a98AySNk