Thursday, January 15, 2009

?Quien es mas macho?

This afternoon, I answered the phone even though I didn't recognize the number.

"Hello?"

There was a slight pause. "Grandma?"

Jeeeezus.

I guess it was fitting. I'm feeling ancient. The recent passing of Ricardo Montalban isn't helping, either, as Mr. Roarke is supposed to live forever.

He had a really interesting life - pretty much created the Latin lover Hollywood stereotype, then created an organization to highlight Latino contributions to the film industry. He was married for 60-plus years. And, of course, there was Fantasy Island.

But I can't stop thinking about the soft, Corinthian leather.



And let me just say, one of my high school friends had a Cordoba, and the hood of "The Small Chrysler" was roughly the size of a tennis court. That car was gigantic and floated on air. We could fit a dozen people in there easily.

So, yeah, it was basically the best car ever. Ricardo would never lead you astray.

7 comments:

LaDue & Crew said...

I was just telling my hubby today that he was married for over 60 years- almost unheard of in Holly weird! Of course, hubby had to add, "You know he cheated, he had to, every actor does"... I swear... I'm sorry, not to me he didn't... Tattoo wouldn't let it happen.

you gotta wonder said...

Nice tribute. Oh what fond memories I have of Ricardo welcoming new fantasies.

Anonymous said...

That is a sexy car.

Linda Summerfield said...

He made Corinthian leather sound kind of dirty!
Your Pal,
Linda

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Hi Miss Cha Cha! I had a lot of catch up reading to do here! I love everything you write about - you pull at the heart strings and tickle the funny bones all at once.

By the way, I would laugh with snorts and watering eyes stuffing socks down you shirt too. Those are the best moments in life - the ridiculously silly ones.

Oh, Ricardo, almost as classy and charming and debonair as James Bond without the worry of getting blown up or painted gold in your sleep. (though the latter does sound intriguing) Well, and that isn't entirely true - he did scare the poopy out of people in order to set them straight once and awhile on the island. It might be a bit hard to be married to the guy in that case - he would always be teaching you a lesson on what you think you want and you wouldn't know it was just one of his shenanigans until it was over. Might get a little old if you were married to it. But, I'd take a weekend of it for sure!

Rebecca said...

I loved Fantasy Island and was sad to hear of his passing. But it sounds like he had full and happy life.

Minnesota Matron said...

Oh my. You just brought the Matron back a few decades. Love that commercial! Good-bye, old friend.