Friday, January 9, 2009

The leader of the pack.

I worked from home today, doing mindless work on my laptop while listening to the TV. Foxie Doxie and I spent most of the afternoon watching the National Geographic channel, or NatGeo as they're calling themselves now. So frickin' hip.

Anyway, it was evidently Dog Day Afternoon. They showed alternating episodes of The Dog Whisperer and DogTown.

I'm a fan of Cesar Milan and am working on some of his techniques with Foxie Doxie. Because Foxie? Needs to stop having a heart attack every time he sees another dog. But DogTown? That was a new one. Evidently, it's a facility in southern Utah that treats and rehabilitates dogs that can't be helped anywhere else. It's amazing.

And then?

And then, I just happened to make a return at Petsmart at the same time as a dog adoption event. Yeah. It was a coincidence. Sure. I hadn't looked at the dogs on Petfinder in advance or anything. Cough, cough.

I held a puppy. He was a black and white schnoodle - schnauzer / poodle mix. He was darling.

And then? And then I left. I am the first human in the history of the world to have ever gone to just look at puppies.

The deal is that I just didn't feel like any of those dogs were my dog. But also? Also, the women running the adoption group were not engaging at all. One of their 11-year-old daughters talked to me. But the women were busy arguing about whether or not one of them should move her van because it was parked in a handicapped spot and she wasn't handicapped. And meanwhile, there were all these people milling about, people who might have actually been interested in giving a home to a needy dog or cat.

It left a bad taste in my mouth.

Then, I came home to find a link to this video in my inbox. And I fell in love with dogs all over again.




Maybe I just need an elephant.

8 comments:

Tumble Fish Studio said...

I thought there was nothing better than watching a bunch of dogs running around a big open field in the country. Now I am ruined. There is nothing better than watching dogs and elephants run around together and you just don't see that often enough. Cutest blog video I have ever seen! Great way to start the weekend!
marsha

Christy said...

OMG that was absolutely amazing. I love it. I'm going to try to figure out how to upload videos so I can add that to my site for my family to see too!

Anonymous said...

So, opposites do attract.... what a heartwarming story. Love it.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Rebecca said...

Perfect last line.

Linda Summerfield said...

I will help with the peanut supply you will be needing.
Your Pal,
Linda

LaDue & Crew said...

That made me get teary eyed!! That was awesome!

econv said...

The right dog will turn up; you can't make it happen. Last year, I realized that my Boston Terrier needed a dog companion. I explored different avenues, but nothing clicked. One Saturday I walked into PetSmart and ran into a bunch of not-so-friendly ladies who were there trying to find homes for their rescues. They were not the nicest bunch, but I persisted (found a friendly one), and a week later I had my little Tulip (rat terrier, sweetest thing). She has some issues, but my BT is much happier and so am I. Let it happen..

Claire B. said...

I am teary here. I love dogs. I love elephants. I love animals. People? They're okay.

(I really really like you!)